JK

JK

Deliverance (Modern Library 100 Best Novels)
James Dickey
Blue Ice
Brian Dice
American Gods - Neil Gaiman First and foremost: I'm neither a literary expert nor am I someone that fancies being all proper in my ramblings online. Don't expect this to be a well versed, deep critique.

After reading Neverwhere I was really looking forward to another Neil Gaiman novel, especially an urban fantasy. I think my expectations may have been to high for this coming in, but in the end I found myself really hating the novel.

... hmm, let's use a list.

1. The story was extremely bland and it felt like there was no direction for the thing. I kept expecting things to be explained or, heck, even one of those climaxes to happen.... but it never did. It was a chore getting through the book at times, bad times, for instance, during the "war" on the mountain thing [sorry, can't remember the name of the place:]. I was expecting a little more from that and nothing ever really came of it. The ending of story was probably the worst, it pretty much felt like the book was just stopped and that's it. There was hardly any closure and I'm left with many unanswered questions. Once it ended, I had to check online to make sure my ebook wasn't corrupted, that the ending truly was the ending.

2. The characters... what was with the characters? Most of them were just there, radiating their "characterness." Ha, nice made up words. By that I mean they were very flat and meaningless. I was reading about them and never once did I connect with one of them or feel for them. I was just reading about a set of made up characters. Sure, that's what we're doing in any fiction, but to be well written, I feel I should see the characters as more than ideas on paper.

3. I don't think I have a third point. Aside from the character and storytelling being mundane, poorly written ideas there's not much to comment on. Suppose the style of writing could be commented on, it was simple to read... that's it.

Simply put, I read this novel and reached the end of it before ever caring about it. It's devoid of any emotion whatsoever, in both the story and characters.