JK

JK

Deliverance (Modern Library 100 Best Novels)
James Dickey
Blue Ice
Brian Dice
In Love (New York Review Books Classics) - Alfred Hayes I don't even know how to go about reviewing this book, well, I do, but I'm no wordsmith so I'll muck it all up. Here goes anyway!

I'm 26, or about to be, and I've never been in love and I don't believe I ever will be. Hazards of being a scoially inept hermit after all. I've never had such a connection with someone that I feel a terrible loss when not with them. I've never felt so absolutely safe in who I was because I was with someone. I've never felt a rage or jealousy over someone not being with me. I haven't whiled away the hours content with just being in the presence of that special person. And so much more. An infinite number of ways more have I never been affected by love.

Except with Hayes' In Love.

It's such a short tale and told in such a simple, honest way, but it conveys all the meaning, all the ups and downs of love that I feel as though maybe I do know what it means, what it feels, to be in love. The story is told so convincingly with such a minimalist voice that I can't help but feel this way. And who knows, I am probably so wrong on this, but I didn't feel that way after finising In Love.

I have to thank NYRB for providing me with a free ARC to read as I would never have bought this myself. Now, I do plan on buying a copy of this, it's something I can see myself going back to on more than one ocassion.