JK

JK

Deliverance (Modern Library 100 Best Novels)
James Dickey
Blue Ice
Brian Dice

Pulling up Stakes 2 (Pulling Up Stakes, #2)

Pulling up Stakes 2 (Pulling Up Stakes, #2) - Peter David Read that synopsis up there of the book. Go ahead read it, I'll wait. Read it? Sounds cheesy as hell, huh? I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking that I really don't like books about vampires so much. They're all sexy, super human... humans... anymore and that's just boring. I like vampires as monsters to be feared, not something to jump in bed with. Forgive me, I digress.

So, the synopsis sounds terribly cheesy and not worth the read, right? Well, that's just wrong. It's great. Incredibly great. There is a lot of attention to detail with the world that is built around these clans of vampire hunters so much so, that you just accept them. They're actually quite believable. This makes the setup for this story work.

The characters were enjoyable, especially Vincent our protagonist. He's very well balanced in terms of being a good guy, but also having his selfish side. He's not just a white knight in shining armor. He's got his issues and doesn't always know what the right choice of action is. I like that. There's a good sized side cast that works well. I wish we could have seen a bit more of some of them, but maybe that will happen later in the series. Dina and Duncan are two I am particularly interested in.

The writing is superb. Flows very well and is witty. It's what I wish more Urban Fantasy authors would do with their writing. We can have badasses fighting monsters who can also speak intelligently. We can! There were times it was a bit repetitive, but it wasn't enough to deter me from enjoying this a great deal.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and recommend it to anyone looking for something different in the UF genre. Especially those looking for a new series with a male POV. This is good stuff.

The only thing that I can say I disliked about this is that for whatever reason, the book was split in half. I'm not sure what compelled the author or the publisher to push for this, but it's just... not necessary. I liked the "story so far" intro for the second half, but could have easily done without it. Because these two parts are really the same book, the review will be the same for both of them.